Column By: HOLLY CAIN / NASCAR – DAYTONA BEACH, FL – Before Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams arrive in Daytona Beach for Speedweeks and the official start to the 2018 season, some drivers will be participating in a much-anticipated open test session at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Sixteen Monster Energy Series drivers including Kyle Larson, Brad Keselowski, as well as rookies Darrell Wallace Jr. and William Byron, will turn laps on the 1.5-mile Las Vegas track this Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1 as part of the test, which includes one car per organization.
This will be the last NASCAR organizational test until July, when teams will turn test laps on the Charlotte Road Course, however there will be several Goodyear Tire tests between now and then.
The full list of those expected to participate in the Las Vegas test next week includes:
- Ty Dillon (Germain Racing)
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Roush Fenway Racing)
- Erik Jones (Joe Gibbs Racing)
- Paul Menard (Wood Brothers Racing)
- Ryan Newman (Richard Childress Racing)
- Cole Custer (Go Fas Racing)
- Chris Buescher (JTG Daugherty Racing)
- Kurt Busch (Stewart-Haas Racing)
- Kasey Kahne (Leavine Family Racing)
- Kyle Larson (Cup Ganassi Racing)
- Brad Keselowski (Team Penske)
- Darrell Wallace (Richard Petty Motorsports
- William Byron (Hendrick Motorsports)
- …in addition to Justin Allgaier, David Ragan and Drew Herring
Pole qualifying for the Daytona 500 and the Advance Auto Parts Clash race are set for Feb. 11 at Daytona International Speedway with the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 18.