Column By: BRITTANY NUTILE / RPW – LOUDON, NH – Justin Bonsignore was able to win the Whelen Modified Tour All Star Shoot Out at NHMS.
Justin started 12th and was being cautious because they were using the same car for qualifying and the race on Saturday.
When they inverted the cars for the second half of the shootout, Bonsignore started from second. During the final lap, in turn three, Rowan Pennink went down to the bottom of the track and Justin went to block. Pennink got into Bonsignore and the wheel from Pennink’s car got wedged in the side of the 51. That sent Pennink up and into the wall.
- Rowan Pennink said during an interview that they were struggling in practice and were going to try and get it better for the shootout. He was running in the top 3 in the second half battling with Doug Coby and Bonsignore until the last lap when he crashed. Rowan finished 14th.
- Coby was trying to make moves too for the last few laps of the race. He was trying to work the bottom to get pasted Pennink, getting a good run but couldn’t advance himself and get the position. Doug finished 2nd.
- Ryan Newman, driving the number 77 modified this weekend, was fastest in practice and started 14th in the shootout. He was gaining spots in the first segment. Before the caution came out, he was in the top 5.After the competition caution, Newman came down pit road and got his right rear tire changed which put him in the back of the field for the second half of the race. Ryan finished 8th.
- Rob Summers had the pole for the race.
- When they inverted the cars half way through the race Eric Goodale was the leader for the second half.
- Bobby Santos finished 5th in the shootout despite having problems during practice where he had mechanical troubles and had to change the engine during practice.