Story By: CAMDEN PROUD / OSWEGO SPEEDWAY – OSWEGO, NY – Oswego Speedway officials have released an action-packed, three division schedule of events for the track’s upcoming 69th season of racing which will begin with its 69th annual edition of Opening Day scheduled for Saturday, May 25, 2019.
In 2019, Novelis Supermodified and Pathfinder Bank SBS competitors will once again embark on a ten-race ‘Road to the Championship’ which will kick off in May and continue through the month of August leading up to the 63rd edition of ‘Classic Weekend’ penciled in for August 30 through September 1.
Joining the familiar Supermodified and Small Block Supermodified classes this coming season is the speedway’s new 350 Supermodified division which will replicate the rules package of the 350 Supers currently in competition at New Hampshire’s Star Speedway.
“We’re looking forward to 2019,” said track owner John Torrese. “We recently announced some rule changes in hopes of providing stability and growth for the Supermodifieds and SBS moving forward while also adding the 350 Super class, which is our first new division at the speedway in about 20 years. Despite these changes, the schedule still highlights some of our most valued events and traditions. We’re really excited to see how it all plays out and hope to find our fans back in their seats supporting Oswego Speedway beginning with the 69th edition of Opening Day on May 25.”
The 350 Supermodifieds will join the Supermodifieds and SBS for eight of the ten regular shows held as part of the track’s 2019 schedule with the first 350 Supermodified champion in speedway history set to be decided at season’s end.
Following the speedway’s Open Practice session on Saturday, May 18, Oswego’s 69th annual Opening Day will take place a week later on May 25 and again feature Jim Shampine Memorial Twin 50 feature events for the Novelis Supermodifieds, the Tony White Memorial 35 for the Pathfinder Bank SBS, plus the first ever 350 Supermodified Memorial Weekend 35.
As of press time, the speedway currently has the 1st of June penciled in to potentially serve as an additional race date in 2019, with details remaining in the works at this time. Continue to check OswegoSpeedway.com for more information.
Two weeks after the Twin 50’s, the track will be back with more double feature action for the Novelis Supermodifieds in the form of Twin 35’s which will be held alongside a 30-lap main event for the Pathfinder Bank SBS. The 350 Supermodifieds will receive the night off on June 8.
June 15 will bring the first regular ‘Road to the Championship’ event of the 2019 season featuring the Novelis Supermodifieds, Pathfinder Bank SBS and 350 Supermodifieds which will run 50, 30 and 35-laps respectively as part of all regular shows this coming season.
On June 22, the track will go dormant in observation of high school graduation before the gates swing back open for a busy four week stretch beginning with the return of the Independence Weekend ‘Grand Prix’ on Saturday, June 29.
For the final event of June, the Novelis Supermodifieds will compete in a 75-lap main, the Pathfinder Bank SBS class will expand it’s race length to 35-laps, and the 350 Supermodifieds will also be contesting in a 35-lap feature. Fireworks will conclude the program.
Once again, three events in three weeks will be held in the month of July beginning with two regular ‘Road to the Championship’ shows on July 6 and July 13 both of which will feature all three of Oswego Speedway’s 2019 divisions.
Mark your calendars for Saturday, July 20 which will bring the 33rd edition of the 75-lap, $10,000 to win Mr. Novelis Supermodified feature event plus the $1,500 to win Mr. Pathfinder Bank SBS 35-lap feature and the first ever Mr. 350 Supermodified 35.
The speedway will be off on Saturday, July 27 for Harborfest as well as the ISMA Hy-Miler held at the Sandusky Speedway in Ohio.
On August 3, the track will roar back to life with its fan favorite ‘Retro Night’ program featuring a Novelis Supermodified 45, a Pathfinder Bank SBS 30, plus the speedway Old Timer’s Reunion held at Lighthouse Lanes before the start of on track action. The 350 Supers will be off on August 3.
Yet another fan favorite event is scheduled for August 10 as Family Night will commence featuring a Novelis Supermodified 50, Twin 20’s for the Pathfinder Bank SBS, and a 35-lap main event for the 350 Supermodifieds. Activities for kids including bounce houses, driver autographs and more will take place prior to the start of on-track action.
The ten race title fight will come to a close on Saturday, August 17 which will see the return of $5 admission Track Championship Night featuring championship events for the Novelis Supermodifieds, Pathfinder Bank SBS and 350 Supermodifieds set at 50, 30 and 35-laps in distance.
After a week off, the 63rd edition of Budweiser International Classic Weekend will be held Friday, August 30 through Sunday, September 1.
Classic Weekend on the fast 5/8th’s will begin with Pole Day on Friday, August 30 featuring qualifying for the Novelis Supermodifieds and Pathfinder Bank SBS with the traditional ‘Party in the Pits’ to follow. It is anticipated that more racing will be added to the Friday program. Continue to check OswegoSpeedway.com for updates.
For ‘Super Saturday’ on August 31, the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will be back for the fourth time in as many years showcasing the 150-lap, $12,000 to win Toyota Mod Classic 150 presented by McDonald’s alongside the 60-lap Bud Light ISMA Supernationals for the winged Supermodifieds.
Sunday, September 1 will bring the 63rd running of the $15,000 to win Budweiser International Classic 200 for the Novelis Supermodifieds, the 28th running of the Bud Light Classic 75 for the Pathfinder Bank SBS, plus the second annual 350 Supermodified Classic.
After Classic Weekend, the dirt will go back down for Super DIRT Week XLVIII at the ‘Clay Palace,’ set for October 9 through October 13.
Time schedules, grandstand pricing, and more for the 2019 schedule will be announced over the course of the next several weeks.
For those wishing to renew Classic or season ticket packages, you will have until Saturday, May 1 to contact Paul at email@example.com. Payment for Classic tickets will be due mid-summer.
Those who need to renew their Classic Weekend camping spaces have until Monday, December 31. You can also do this by sending the track an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Several ‘Fast Friday’ testing sessions are planned prior to Open Practice on May 25. It is anticipated that the track will be ready by mid-April. You can email email@example.com to sign up for potential testing slots.
Rule changes for the 2019 season which include Supermodified wing specs, Small Block Super crate engine specs, and the rules for the new 350 Supermodified class can be found at OswegoSpeedway.com.
An updated 2019 rule book will be available in PDF form in the coming weeks and can be located at OswegoSpeedway.com as well. This rule book will detail rules packages for all three classes, plus point structure, purse information, and more.
Driver registration for the Novelis Supermodified, Pathfinder Bank SBS and 350 Supermodified divisions will be open to competitors no later than Monday, December 3.
Oswego Speedway is actively seeking a 350 Supermodified division sponsor plus race night sponsors for all three divisions. If interested in joining our marketing program, you may contact Paul Conzone at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Steve Quonce at email@example.com.
Representatives from the speedway will also be on hand at this weekend’s 38th annual National Parts Peddler Trade Show held at the New York State Fairgrounds November 16, 17 and 18. Stop by and see Paul or Steve for 2019 schedule cards as well as marketing information.
2019 Schedule of Events – Oswego Speedway’s 69th Season
(Subject to Change):
- Saturday, May 18th – Open Practice Session (All Registered Cars)
- Saturday, May 25th – 69th annual Opening Day – Novelis Supermodified Jim Shampine Memorial Twin 50’s, Pathfinder Bank SBS Tony White Memorial 35, 350 Supermodified Memorial Weekend 35
- Saturday, June 1st – Details TBA
- Saturday, June 8th – Novelis Supermodified Twin 35’s and Pathfinder Bank SBS 30
- Saturday, June 15th – Novelis Supermodified 50, Pathfinder Bank SBS 30, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, June 22nd – OFF / High School Graduation
- Saturday, June 29th – Novelis Supermodified ‘Grand Prix’ 75, Pathfinder Bank SBS ‘Grand Prix’ 35, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, July 6th – Novelis Supermodified 50, Pathfinder Bank SBS 30, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, July 13th – Novelis Supermodified 50, Pathfinder Bank SBS 30, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, July 20th – $10,000 to win Mr. Novelis Supermodified 75, $1,500 to win Mr. Pathfinder Bank SBS 35, Mr. 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, July 27th – OFF / Harborfest Weekend and Sandusky Speedway Hy-Miler
- Saturday, August 3rd – ‘Retro Night’ Novelis Supermodified 45 and Pathfinder Bank SBS 30 plus Old Timer’s Reunion
- Saturday, August 10th – Novelis Supermodified 50, Pathfinder Bank SBS Twin 20’s, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, August 17th – Track Championship Night – Novelis Supermodified 50, Pathfinder Bank SBS 30, 350 Supermodified 35
- Saturday, August 24th – OFF / Classic Week Begins!
- Thursday, August 29th – Oswego Kartway Classic
- Friday, August 30th – Classic Friday ‘POLE DAY’ – More info TBA
- Saturday, August 31st – Classic Saturday – 4th annual Toyota Mod Classic 150 presented by McDonald’s for NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, 60-lap Bud Light ISMA Supernationals for Winged Supermodifieds
- Sunday, September 1st – Classic Sunday – 63rd annual Budweiser International Classic 200 for Supermodifieds, 28th annual Bud Light Classic 75 for Small Block Supermodifieds, 2nd annual 350 Supermodified Classic
- Monday, September 2nd – Classic Weekend Rain Date
SUPER DIRT WEEK
- Wednesday, October 9 – Sunday, October 13 – NAPA Auto Parts Super DIRT Week XLVIII